How can we be ultralight on the planet?
The issues facing our planet require urgent action. That's why we're building awareness and consideration of our environmental impacts into the foundation of how we make gear.
Greenhouse Gas Accounting
- We purchased Verified Carbon Offsets to balance the greenhouse gas emissions associated with our Scopes 1, 2, and 3 in 2021. The offsets benefit the Refrigerant Management Ozone Depleting Substance Destruction Project in Canada.
- We purchased Green-e Energy Certified Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) to ensure that our electricity use in 2021 came from renewable resources. The REC's benefit the Breckinridge Wind Farm in Oklahoma, USA.
1% for the Planet
- YAMA has been a member of 1% for the Planet since 2019, donating over 1% of our revenue to environmental efforts in our local community. We're excited to have helped support the Great Burn Conservation Alliance in 2021. Past organizations that we've supported include Wild Montana and the Montana Natural History Center.
Climate Action Corps
- YAMA Mountain Gear is proud to have been a founding member of the Climate Action Corps, a group of collaborating companies taking the lead on climate action in the outdoor industry. Unfortunately, we decided to discontinue our membership in 2022. While we learned and benefited from our participation, we found that it did not make sense for us to continue with the group. We remain committed to measuring, planning and reducing our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and will share our progress.
- We have transitioned many of our tarps and shelters from silnylon and silpoly to Recycled Silpoly (Global Recycled Standard 4.0).
- Waste Specs are provided for a growing number of our products. This spec shows you about how much in-house waste is produced for a given product. Look for it in the product specifications.
- Waste audits help us stay aware of how much trash we make. We periodically collect and weigh unrecoverable trimmings to estimate how much of each fabric we’re disposing overall. (“We threw away how much DCF?!?!?!”)
- We hate throwing things away to sit in the landfill. We design and build YAMA gear to maximize lifespan for the material used. That sometimes comes at the expense of a little extra weight or cost, but that pales in comparison to the environmental cost of taking shortcuts. Basically, we try to make smart and balanced design choices to keep your gear on the trail as long as possible.
- We REUSE packaging materials when it makes sense. Thanks for your understanding if you receive your order in a box that has a history!
- We use recycled content in our packaging materials as much as possible. New boxes are 100% post consumer waste and closed with paper tapes. Most of our padded mailers are 32.6% post consumer waste and designed for multiple uses. YOU can recycle these mailers and padded Priority Mail envelopes wherever grocery bags are accepted.
- 2021 Greenhouse Gas Emissions Summary
- 2021 Climate Action Report
- 2020 Greenhouse Gas Emissions Summary
Goals & Areas of Interest
- Accomplished in 2021!*
Become carbon neutral by 2023.
*We offset over 100% of our estimated CO2e emissions from 2021, however this was based on rough estimates gained from financial data.
- Set a science-based target to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) in line with the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi).
- Refine our emissions estimates/measurements in our largest impact areas, specifically within Purchased Goods and Services.
- Measure/estimate the carbon footprint for our primary products.
- Explore treatments that could aid the breakdown of polyester at end-of-life
- Test foams grown from mycellium. Fungus!
- Collaboration with other brands to source more recycled fabrics, particularly silpoly and no-see-um netting.